Do you dread this time of year, in fear of the pesky pollens?
Don’t fear the sniffles and itchy eyes that come when hay fever hits. Our homeopath, Julie, has put together some top tips to help you cope with hay fever.
1. Reduce your consumption of mucus-forming foods, such as bananas and dairy products (cheese, milk, cream, ice cream, etc) while you have symptoms. Try switching to plant-based milk instead. Good alternatives include almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk or rice milk.
2. Ensure that you are well-hydrated, by aiming to drink at least a litre of water every day, between meals. Nettle tea is also great for hay fever symptoms, as stinging nettles reduce the amount of histamine in the body, caused by allergies. Wearing a rubber glove, just pick the tender tops of a bunch of nettles (not near the roadside!) and boil them up in hot water for 5-10 minutes, strain and drink 1-2 cups daily. Alternatively, nettle teabags are an easier option.
3. Aim to reduce your stress levels. The immune system's ability to deal with toxins is reduced when there’s an increase in the ‘stress hormone' cortisol. If at the same time, we start making unhealthy lifestyle choices as a means of coping, such as increased alcohol consumption, smoking and poor eating habits, this places additional strain on the immune system and lowers our resistance to disease. Consider introducing meditation, yoga or breathing exercises into your daily routine.
4. Supplementing with a daily dose of 1000mg Vitamin C is a powerful way to reduce inflammation in your body and calm the troublesome effects of hay fever.
5. Eat local raw honey. It's true! The idea is that bees become covered in pollen spores, which are then transferred into the honey, so a teaspoon daily of raw honey from the local area can help build immunity through gradual exposure.
6. Turmeric and ginger. Taken together or separately, these are naturally anti-inflammatory and will help ease the effects of hay fever on the sinuses.
Hay fever can be a deep-seated condition that sometimes requires a more in-depth approach.
If you try these and still find you need help with acute hay fever episodes, consider booking to see Julie for a full constitutional appointment.