Benefits of relaxing – why you deserve to put your feet up this Christmas
Christmas is considered to be the most stressful time of the year. Once you’ve finished work, you expect to sit back and relax, but sometimes this isn’t the case. Rushing around the shops to buy last minute gifts and prepare your house for friends and family can take its toll on you. We want to emphasis the importance of relaxing, and what it can do for your health.
- High blood pressure can be a side effect of feeling stressed. Allowing yourself to relax can reduce the chances of high blood pressure.
- If you’re not feeling relaxed, it can have a negative effect on your immune system. Feeling stressed can suppress your body’s natural defenses, leaving you susceptible to common colds and flu
- Find yourself forgetting things? If you’re not relaxed, your memory is affected.
- Studies have shown that stress can destroy brain cells, leading to depression in the long run. It is important to take time out for yourself.
- Stress can cause you to make poor eating decisions. You will find yourself craving sugary and fatty foods, which are not the healthiest choice. Relaxing allows you to make better decisions, while keeping a slimmer waistline.
- Experiencing acne? This could be due to your stressful lifestyle. Studies have shown that people who are feeling stressed tend to have inflamed or spot prone skin.
Everyone relaxes in different ways, whether it’s a visit to the gym or sitting down with your favourite book. It is important to take care of yourself this Christmas, you deserve it!